Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What is that baby holding?

So I had this thing last month. You might call it a group art exhibition of the self-portraitly-themed persuasion. I have never liked doing self-portraits. Either they are too straightforward, and therefore have nothing to say except, "Hey I can do a nice technical painting" or they are incredibly deep and disturbing (a la Frida Kahlo/skeletons/monkeys/thorns/bleeding hearts). I've never been stellar at technical depictions, and I don't know how much I have to say (or want to say) via an art piece that is getting looked at by who knows how many people.  I always feel like I need more life experience than my 26 years in order to make a painting of that caliber.

So naturally I found this assignment to be somewhat stumping. The only "subject" I could think of that felt somewhat natural to paint was, unsurprisingly, a child. So here it is. Me as a child. Me as a child in my own imagination...or something trippy like that. I call this one "Untitled." Interpret as you will. Although I must say, that is chalk in her hand, not a cigarette as was posited by a visiting artist friend.

1 comment:

llhoffman said...

I love this! How did it come about? Of course, being me, I immediately thought you were identifying w/Ariel. Too simplistic? I don't think cigarette would have crossed my mind. Doesn't represent you. You've captured some sort of innocence mingled w/wisdom in this portrait. Not sure how you did it, but that's art.