Friday, November 18, 2011

Introducing "Lilith": A Webcomic!



Well here it is! It's only been in my head for five years now! It feels so good to make real. What a relief. It's like all this creative pressure just builds up inside my head, and it can even make me kind of moody if I don't let it out (what a temperamental artist, I know). It was one of those things where I had these vague perceptions of who the characters would be, but I couldn't for the life of me get it all out correctly on paper. NOTHING satisfied me when I tried to sketch this thing out, but I knew I loved my concept. Then one day, I just blocked out a chunk of uninterrupted time and forced myself to start it. Not sketch or plan, but just jump in. It turns out that method works for me! I have about 9 comics drawn and ready to go, all loaded up on the website. It's such an exciting feeling. I really needed a change from picture books after trying again and again to start one only to have it either be too similar to one on the market, or to just not be feelin' it. It's always going to be hard to top Lizzie Fox-Top I think because it was a story so close to my heart and it was about someone I cared about so much (who just passed away this Easter). I needed a new creative outlet, and I think webcomics are it.

Webcomics are scary though, I have to admit. It's like the first time clicking that "send" button for the printer of Lizzie Fox-Top, except it's that feeling every day. That nervous build-up, quadruple-checking to make sure everything's how I want it, and then the brief but immediate moment of panic just after I hit "publish." Because once it's up there and everyone sees it, I really can't go back. Every decision has to be final. That will be something to get used to.  Anyway, Lilith will be updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at midnight (yay automatic uploading!) so please check back to hear more of the story each day. Lilith is also on facebook, so please "like" her! Thanks!


No comments: