Sunday, February 7, 2010

Be Good, Kids! (Or Else You'll Die/Accidentally Kill Someone/Have No Friends/Get Fat, Etc.)

I'm working on some black and white illustrations for the re-publishing of a collection of didactic poems and stories written by a Quaker woman in the 19th century.  Here's one from a poem about a boy who keeps a squirrel as a pet, but eventually decides to let it go free.  My only worry with this project is that I will make the illustrations too Edward Gorey-esque.  He's one of my favorite illustrators (I've probably mentioned him in an earlier post), and one whom I've been compared to on more than one occasion (even before I even knew he existed, back in college).  He wrote several stories that were satirical versions of what I'm illustrating for now, so it's spotty territory, but hopefully I can find enough of my own style to shine through!

EDIT: I decided to color it for fun.  

No comments: