Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Lecture at Temple University

Exciting news! Tomorrow (this morning really) I am giving my first-ever lecture on children's books. I will be speaking about a brief history of children's illustration, picture book creation, and my own work, to 2 children's literature classes at Temple University in Philadelphia. Of course I am extremely excited as this really makes me feel validated as an illustrator, however I do grapple (as I'm sure many artists do, no matter how experienced) with feelings of horrible under-qualification. I keep thinking if only I had just one more book published, just one more award, even one more sketch to show of an upcoming book, that I will feel more like I deserve this. I can only hope I have enough to talk about given my extremely brief time in the field thus far!

But the truth is, I don't think I would be invited if I didn't deserve it in some way! I have to look at my achievements: I am a well-appreciated freelancer with loyal clients, and although the assignments are sporadic I get steady praise. And to top it off, I have a picture book on the verge of being available on Amazon, and I do happen to be extremely proud of it. As I was told in a conversation at a gallery opening the other night, lots of people can have the ideas or even make a few drawings, but it's really tough to make it as far as I just have, all the way to the press (and the internets!) So I keep reminding myself.

Enough tooting my own horn though. I still have to prove I can sell this thing to really make it happen. That will definitely be the biggest hurdle yet. But til then.....

I'm giving a lecture at a university! Yay!

3 comments:

Heartsleeves said...

Hey Stevie, I wanted to say thanks for talking in my class today. You have some really awesome pieces of art. I envy people who can draw. I'm a musician who is kind of stifled creatively at the moment and one thing I wanted to ask you is if you ever get stifled creatively? If so, what do you do to help you get out of your funk? Reason why I ask is because you seem so busy with your different projects, (as am I, I just don't know which way to go) if you ever just get over-whelmed with ideas for all of your projects. Thanks again for talking in class today. It was really interesting to see the process of a childrens book. I am a fan of your art and will definitely tell my friends! haha

Marianne.

Stevie French said...

Hey Marianne!
Thanks for looking me up, and I'm really glad you enjoyed my talk! I have definitely gone through moments of artist's block, especially with projects I'm not really excited about but still have a deadline for. Some things that really help me are listening to music (I know that sounds cliche but so many of my doodles during songs I like turn into something more) and looking at other artists' work. Another thing I do, which I'm not sure how well this will apply to a musician, but if I have a certain project I will make a list of brainstorming words and do a word association. It helps a LOT to create new concepts and draw creative associations between things that you wouldn't always think of. Hope that helps, and keep in touch!

Heartsleeves said...

Hi Stevie, that really helped a lot. Thanks for letting me pick your brain on the topic of creativity. It helped talking to someone who is a creative mind. Can't wait til you book hits shelves. I'll be keeping an eye out for it. :-)